FIX: Embedded Flash/SD-CARD Degraded issue on HPE Proliant servers
Prerequisites for formatting the NAND
- The user must log into iLO 4 with "administrator" level credentials
- Many of the methods below require an .XML file (which needs to be created and named "Force_Format.xml").
The content of the .XML file needs to be similar to the following, with the iLO administrator username and password replaced for Administrator and Password on line 2:
<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password">
The iLO 4 firmware version must be 2.44 or newer. Download the most recent version available on HPE.com as follows:
- Click the following link:
- Enter a product name (e.g., "iLO 4") in the text field under Enter a Product Name or Number.
- Click Go.
- Select the appropriate product model from the Results list (if prompted).
- Click the "drivers, software & firmware" hyperlink under the Download Options tab.
- Select the system's specific operating system from the Operating Systems dropdown menu.
- Click the category Firmware - Lights-Out Management.
- Select the latest release of theHPE Integrated Lights-Out 4 Firmware version 2.61 (or later).
- Click Download.
NAND Format Methods
This document describes five methods which can be used to format the NAND on a ProLiant Gen8 or Gen9 server:
- From the iLO 4 GUI (requires iLO 4 firmware version 2.61 or newer)
- From the Onboard Administrator (for servers in HPE BladeSystem c3000/c7000 Enclosures only)
- From Windows OS (using the HPQLOCFG.exe utility)
- From Windows PowerShell (using HPE iLO cmdlets for PowerShell)
- From Linux or VMware (using the hponcfg utility)
NOTE: The steps to confirm that the NAND format was successful are shown at the end of this document.
Additional considerations before performing a NAND format
A NAND format can be performed while the server is online in most cases.
Exception: For VMware ESXi hosts booting from the Embedded SD Card - it is strongly recommended to perform the NAND format with the ESXi OS shut down. This recommendation also applies when updating the iLO 4 firmware or resetting the iLO for ESXi hosts booting from the Embedded SD Card.
A server AC power removal may be required (prior to the NAND format) in order for the NAND format to be successful. This can be accomplished for ML or DL-series servers by shutting down the server and disconnecting the power cables for a few seconds. For server blades, an E-fuse reset can be accomplished by logging into the OA CLI and typing "reset server#" where "#" is the bay number of the server blade.
An AuxPwrCycle feature was added in iLO 4 firmware version 2.55 so that the equivalent of an AC power removal can be performed remotely on a server.
Refer to Customer Notice
"HPE Integrated Lights Out (iLO) 4 - RESTful Command to Allow an
Auxiliary Power-Cycle Is Available in Firmware Version 2.55 (and Later)"
located at the following URL:
Required steps to perform after a successful NAND format
If the server is powered on when performing the NAND format, a server reboot is required after a successful NAND format. This reboot repopulates the RIS and RESTful data on the server during the next server POST with iLO 4 firmware version 2.53 or newer installed. If iLO 4 firmware version 2.50 or older is installed, connect to the iLO CLI (using putty) and use the following command "oemHP_clearRESTapistate" before rebooting the server to repopulate the RIS and RESTful data on the server.
Server POST with iLO 4 firmware version 2.53 or newer installed:
NOTE: If iLO 4 firmware version 2.50 or older is installed, connect to the iLO CLI (using putty) and use the following command "oemHP_clearRESTapistate" before rebooting the server to repopulate the RIS and RESTful data on the server.
Reinstall Intelligent Provisioning (IP) to ensure that it is working properly and reported as installed in the iLO 4 GUI "System Information - Firmware Information" page.
If using OneView: After the server is rebooted (to repopulate the RIS and RESTful data on the server), perform a server refresh in OneView; any existing errors in OneView will need to be marked as cleared after the refresh.
NOTE: The screenshots below show the iLO firmware as version 2.60; however, these are for example purposes only. The actual firmware version is 2.61.
NAND Format Method 1: Use the iLO 4 GUI